Gold has posted losses in the Thursday session. In North American trade, gold is trading at $1245.17 per ounce. On the release front, US Final GDP posted a gain of 2.1%, edging above the estimate of 2.0%. Unemployment claims
United States Initial Jobless Claims
jumped to 258 thousand, well above the forecast of 244 thousand. On Friday, we’ll get a look at consumer confidence levels, with the release of UoM Consumer Sentiment.
It’s been a rough-and-tumble start for the Trump administration, which has been beset by controversy and crises since Trump assumed office in January. Trump has yet to provide any details of an economic policy, to the consternation of the markets.
Last week, Trump’s proposed healthcare bill was dead on arrival before even being voted on, a humiliating defeat for the president. This setback has made the markets even more jittery about Trump, and the inquiry into the Trump administration’s links with Russia is gathering steam, which is another cause for concern for nervous investors.
Trump has said he will now focus on tax reform, but the White House will need to improve coordination with Republican lawmakers to ensure that his next attempt to pass legislation is not a repeat of the healthcare debacle. Still, despite all of Trump’s difficulties, he can at least point to a strong US economy, which shows no signs of slowing down.
GDP in the first quarter was revised upwards to a respectable 2.1% and the labor market remains very strong. The markets may be looking for the Federal Reserve to be more aggressive, but the central bank is on course to raise rates twice more in 2017, a testament to an economy heading in the right direction.
Thursday (March 30)
- 8:30 US Final GDP. Estimate 2.0%. Actual 2.1%
- 8:30 US Unemployment Claims. Estimate 244K. Actual 258K
- 8:30 US Final GDP Price Index. Estimate 2.0%. Actual 2.1%
- 10:30 US Natural Gas Storage. Estimate -37B. Actual -43B
- 11:00 US FOMC Member Robert Kaplan Speech
- 23:01 British GfK Consumer Confidence. Estimate -7
Upcoming Key Events
Friday (March 31)
- 10:00 US Revised UoM Consumer Sentiment. Estimate 97.8
*All release times are GMT
*Key events are in bold
XAU/USD for Thursday, March 30, 2017
XAU/USD March 30 at 13:30 EST
Open: 1252.60 High: 1252.99 Low: 1244.41 Close: 1245.17
- XAU/USD edged lower in the Asian and European sessions. The pair continues to move lower in North American trade
- 1232 is providing support
- 1260 is the next resistance line
- Current range: 1232 to 1260
Further levels in both directions:
- Below: 1232, 1199, 1174 and 1146
- Above: 1260, 1285 and 1307
OANDA’s Open Positions Ratio
XAU/USD ratio has shown movement towards short positions. Currently, long positions have a majority (55%), indicative of trader bias towards XAU/USD reversing directions and moving higher.